Using the free Avenza Maps App for iPhone, Android or Windows smartphone or tablet and the CMC’s free maps available in their map store, you can now follow your route as you hike the trails built by the Catskill Mountain Club: the Palmer Hill Trail, Shavertown Trail, Andes Rail Trail and Bullet Hole Spur, the Delhi Trails and the Bramley Mountain Trail.
Now you can always have these maps with you, see your location, record your route, mark waypoints, geotag photos, measure distances and more. You must be connected to the internet to acquire the maps, but once you have downloaded maps to your device, there is no need for an internet or cell phone signal.
The Avenza Maps app is a geospatial PDF, GeoPDF® and GeoTIFF reader for Apple iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. In addition to CMC maps, you can find thousands of professionally made maps in the PDF Maps Store, some are free and others are available for a fee.
The NYNJTC maps of the Catskills are also available through the map store. You can buy individual Trail Conference maps or get the new, whole Catskills map (including an extended coverage area) so you never need to know whether the trail you are planning to hike is on map 142 or 143!
To find the CMC maps, select Catskill Mountain Club from the vendor drop down or type CMC in the keyword search box. Find the NYNJTC maps by selecting New York-NewJersey Trail Conference from the vendor drop down. You can limit the NYNJTC results further by typing Catskills in the keyword search box.
Features of the PDF Maps app include
- View, zoom and pan maps using gestures (pinch, drag and flick, double tap)
- View your location on a map using the built-in GPS device
- Plot placemarks, add position and label names, enter attribute data and notes
- Track real-time movement with GPS (includes speed and elevation statistics) – save, export and import tracks (as KML)
- Use the compass to view true or magnetic north (iPad and iPhone only)
- View the coordinates of the current position and of any placemark and open it in the Maps or Google Maps app
For more information on the Avenza Maps app, visit their website. To download the free app, click here.
Note that relying on electronic devices for navigation is risky due to possible loss of power and/or satellite communication. It is good practice to carry and know how to use a map and compass. This important skill can save your day, and even your life.
To view, download and print the available CMC maps, click the folllowing links: