Catskill Mountain Club
Job Description: Executive Director
The Catskill Mountain Club (CMC) is seeking an Executive Director (ED) for a Part-to-Full time position. The ED will lead the CMC in its work to provide opportunities for outdoor recreation in the Catskills, including organizing events, building trails, and advocating for the region. The ED will lead our fundraising efforts, volunteer program, and other activities described below. Our active Board and volunteers will support the ED in all duties. Our immediate priority is to build our individual and foundation donor base, and to secure stable sources of funding that will allow us to meet our goals into the future.
This position is funded in part by a 3-year grant from the O’Connor Foundation. It will begin as a part-time position of approximately 20 hours per week for approximately 6 months. When additional funding is secured, the position will increase to 3/4-time or full-time, as organization and ED needs are determined. We are open to discussion as to current and future salary and time requirements.
This position will begin in December 2022 or sooner.
About the Catskill Mountain Club
The CMC is a 501-c-3 member-led, grassroots organization dedicated to promoting sustainable, safe, and non-motorized outdoor recreation throughout the Catskills region. We work to increase public awareness and appreciation of the Catskills including its natural resources, public lands, and recreational opportunities for all ages and abilities.
The CMC was founded in 2004 on the 100th anniversary of the creation of the Catskill Park. We are committed to good stewardship of our environment through safe, sustainable, and responsible activities. Our main activities include:
- Building and maintaining trails on New York City watershed lands, New York State park lands, and privately-owned land. We currently have 6 trails in our portfolio and one trail underway.
- Organizing and leading hikes, paddles, and other outdoor recreational experiences.
- Organizing public events such as the annual Lark in the Park.
- Participating in coalitions such as the Catskill Park Coalition to promote the conservation, protection and improvement of recreational and natural resources.
CMC’s Board of Directors are dedicated outdoors enthusiasts, who have spent many years as stewards of the Catskills in a variety of ways. We are a small but ambitious organization, and get a lot done.
The Executive Director will carry out four main activities, in close collaboration with and support from Board members and volunteers:
- Develop and lead membership campaigns
- Develop and sustain relationships with individual donors
- Identify potential funders and manage grants
- Coordinate fundraising events
2) Program Management
- Coordinate volunteers and build volunteer base
- Coordinate trail projects
- Coordinate events and update the events calendar
- Act as lead spokesperson for the CMC
- Lead communications to the public about CMC activities
- Oversee social media
- Coordinate periodic newsletter
- Manage the day-to-day organizational budget and record-keeping
- Mailing membership materials
- Coordinate merchandise sales
- Coordinate quarterly Board meetings
The ED will report to and work collaboratively with CMC’s Board of Directors.
Skills and Experience Required
The ideal applicant will be a Catskills resident with demonstrated familiarity, experience and commitment to environmental and recreational issues in the Catskills. Other requirements are:
- Organized, self-directed, and detail-oriented
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent administrative skill
- Maturity, professionalism and the ability to make decisions
- Experience leading a small organization, business, work team, or other managerial experience is a plus.
How to Apply:
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line: Executive Director Search:
- Cover letter
- Names, titles, contact info for 3 professional references
Deadline: October 7